Wednesday, June 1, 2011
I'm available for freelance writing, styling, and blogging positions.
Check out part of my resume here and contact me via email for more information!
Founder & Editor, TheBostonista.Com, Acton, MA April 2008-Present
• Founded and created The Bostonista, a blog that looks at the fashion industry, fashion design, celebrity and style from a twenty-something Bostonian’s perspective
• Research designers, trends, industry gossip and local stores
• Compile videos, photos, quotes, and news to create original opinionated editorial content daily
• Attend and report on local and national fashion/lifestyle events
• Build and maintain a loyal reader following generating an average of eight thousand unique visitors a month
• Generate revenue with both traditional and new media forms of advertising
• Utilize social media to promote The Bostonista and it’s advertisers
Writer, Freelance, Boston, MA January 2009-Present
• Message in a Bottle, Lola Magazine (The Boston Globe), February 2009
• Dare to Denim, Rue La La Guest Blog, July 2010
• Shop Boston, Pose Guest Blog, September 2011
• Daily Stuff: The Fourth Annual Emerging Trends Runway Show, Stuff Boston, September 2011
• Daily Stuff: Drea Designs at Bond, Stuff Boston, October 2011
PR/Fashion Intern, dress, Boston, MA August 2008-January 2009
• Assisted owner/PR director of upscale designer boutique
• Assisted with styling and production of bi-weekly merchandise photo shoots
• Organized press clippings, and maintained press photographs of incoming merchandise
• Created and edited PowerPoint presentations to send out in press packages
• Assisted clients in the store
Editorial Intern, The Improper Bostonian, Boston, MA August 2006-May 2007
• Contributed/Wrote small pieces that appeared in the magazine
- Improper Reports: Steep Thoughts, (11/22-12/5 2006)
• Wrote and edited portions of the events and agenda sections in the magazine
• Researched and fact-checked articles and columns for staff writers and editors
• Trained incoming editorial interns in Quark Express, AP Style format and company procedures
Assistant Head Teacher, Acton-Boxborough Community Education, Acton, MA November 2008-Present
· Provide a safe environment for children (K-6) before and after school
· Work as a member of a co-operative team in order to set and provide a fun program for children
· Create and supervise lesson plans and educational activities
· Assist with the supervision of children during in door and out door activities
· Attend to the physical needs of children
· Develop strong relationships with parents and families
Emmanuel College, Boston, MA
Residence Hall Staff September 2004-May 2007
• Greeted and assisted students, families, and guests as they enter resident halls
• Maintained a safe and secure environment while enforcing resident hall rules
• Mediated between students and staff to help create resolutions
Admissions Ambassador February 2004-May 2006
• Spoke to perspective students and their families and answer any questions about college and academic life at Emmanuel College
• Effectively communicated information to large groups of perspective students while giving tours of campus
Customer Service, TJ MAX ‘N’ More, Acton, MA Summer 2004
• Problem solved for customers and staff
• Handled all returns and some sales
• Mediated between customers and managers and resolved concerns to satisfy both parties
Emmanuel College, Boston, MA September 2003-May 2007
Bachelor of Arts in English-Communications, 2007
Relevant Courses: Journalism, Prose Writing, PR & Advertising, Writing for Mass Media, Media Theory & Criticism, Art History, Magazine Writing
Quark Express, MAC OS X, Microsoft Office, I Work, Internet Research, AP Style Format, Social Media, Blogger
References & Writing Samples Available Upon Request
Wednesday, May 25, 2011
Saturday, May 21, 2011
Victoria's Secret has launched their MLB inspired line of Pink gear and to celebrate Chanel Iman was at Victoria's Secret at the Cambrideside Galleria yesterday!
I was lucky enough to score a quick, EXCLUSIVE, one-on-one interview with Chanel!
I have to say she was not AT ALL what I was expecting. She seemed much younger than twenty. Chanel has a bit of a reputation for being...over confident to put it nicely. She certainly seemed at ease in front of the press line of cameras but one-on-one she was almost shy and very sweet.
(Me interviewing Chanel)
Bostonista: You became a Victoria's Secret Angel in 2010! What was that like?:
Chanel Iman: If you saw the show you'll know I was a mess backstage! I broke down because it was such an honor. Not every model gets to get wings!
Bostonista: They look so heavy!
Chanel: Yes! I had two pairs of wings but the bubble wings were heavy. They weighed 45 pounds!
Bostonista: You've done a lot of high fashion shows like Gucci while also working for Victoria's Secret. Do you approach the jobs differently?
Chanel: Not really. But it's fun to go back and forth from sexy and naked basically to high fashion. Victoria's Secret is one of my only commercial clients because I have so much fun working with them!
(Quick hair fix!)
Bostonista: What is your favorite piece or look from the new MLB/Pink collection?
Chanel: Definitely the yoga pant because unlike other yoga pants they are really fitted around the hips. Even though they are workout clothes they're still really sexy.
Bostonista: So what are your plans for the summer?
Chanel: To be a bombshell! The new Victoria's Secret line is all about being a bombshell this summer so I'm looking forward to going to the beach and embracing my inner bombshell!
(Chanel and I after our interview!)
Thanks to Chanel, her team and everyone at Victoria's Secret!
Tuesday, May 17, 2011
Everyone's favorite sexy, comfy line Pink by Victoria's Secret is launching a line inspired by the MLB!
Of course they're courting the most devoted fans in the country with lots of great Red Sox gear with a feminine edge.
To celebrate Victoria's Secret (at 429 Cambridge St) is hosting a little party on Friday at 2 pm with supermodel Chanel Iman and Red Sox hitter David Ortiz!
The first 100 people in line will be able to meet & take pictures with Chanel and Big Papi!
I hope to see you there!
Victoria's Secret, 429 Cambridge St.
5/20 at 2 PM
Friday, May 13, 2011
I'm so excited to announce that I've teamed up with ShopBop to giveaway a $100 ShopBop gift card!
ShopBop has become an online fashion presence in the last few years with offerings from contemporary lines like Marc by Marc Jacobs.
To enter to win all you need to do is leave a comment here with your email address!
For three entries leave a comment, follow me on twitter, and re-tweet this contest to your friends.
Need an idea on what to spend the $100 on? ShopBop suggests a Marc by Marc Jacobs backpack or Marc by Marc Jacobs hobo for the summer! Personally, I'm partial to this yellow, sleeveless blouse from Equipment!
Winner will be announced on Wednesday May 25th!
Oh, and don't forget to Fan Shopbop to keep up to date with all of their news and other contests!
Wednesday, May 11, 2011
Back in high school, when Britney Spears was, unfortunately, my ultimate style icon, I wore a lot of crop tops.
Luckily, I grew out of dressing like Britney (I still blush just thinking about my pink g-string peaking out from my low rise jeans) and the idea of showing my belly seems pretty alien.
But in the past year and a half crop tops seem to be reemerging on bloggers and It- girls a like.
I don't think I have the body to wear one but if I did....would I? Maybe with a high waisted skirt or pants so that I wouldn't feel so exposed.
But would you? Or is it all just a little too Britney?
If you're brave enough to give it a go might I suggest wearing it soft and loose like this Wildfox tshirt.
or pretty much anything from Alexander Wang like this cropped mock turtleneck at Shopbop
Tuesday, May 10, 2011
Yesterday Karl Lagerfeld staged the Chanel Resort 2012 at the world's most expensive hotel, Hotel du Cap in Antibes!
There was a lot of over the top extravagance but that was the only cohesive theme in the collection.
I'm usually a blind Chanel/Karl fan but I felt confused by this collection.
From the too long, mid-calf skirts to the thong boots there was a lot of ugly to ponder. There was also beach wear, suits, day dresses, gowns for galas, and messy prints. With some menswear thrown in for good measure.
Of course resort is in stores the longest so the lack of cohesion could be explained by the fact that it needs to cover everything that a Chanel client could want in that time.
There are some lovely pieces and looks scattered throughout. I especially loved all the yellow which I'm craving this summer. It just wasn't enough to make me love this collection.
Tuesday, May 3, 2011
THIS is why I love models- they always bring the drama!
While most of the celebrities missed the memo my catwalk girls hit the McQueen mark!
I hope I was able to find some pictures you haven't seen yet!
Karolina Kurkova in Jean Paul Gaultier Haute Couture
Gisele Bundchen in Alexander McQueen
Karlie Kloss in Christian Dior
Coco Rocha in Alexander McQueen
Lily Donaldson in Erdem
Liu Wen and Constance Jablonski in Alexander McQueen
Caroline Trentini in Michael Kors
Natalia Vodianova in (and with) Valentino!
Raquel Zimmermann in Alexander McQueen
And finally Hilary Rhoda in McQueen!
Thanks to The Fashion Spot for all of the pictures!
I was so excited for the red carpet at last night's Costume Institute Met Gala.
I figured that since the exhibit this year is dedicated to the brilliant career of Alexander McQueen that celebrities and models would be going all out.
How wrong I was!
One of the great things about the Met Gala is that it isn't covered by mainstream media and while Hollywood is always in attendance it is truly a fashion event. You don't have to worry so much about the US Weekly worst dressed list. You can take risks!
But this year it seemed to be mostly about looking pretty.
At least we can always count on Daphne Guinness!
Daphne Guinness in Alexander McQueen (Archive)
Lack of theme aside, here are my picks for the best dressed celebrities!
Diane Kruger in Jason Wu!
She was definitely the most elegant, sexy, best dressed of the night. Her style choices always work. While I would have loved to see her take a risk she blew the "pretty" competition out of the water.
Liv Tyler in Givenchy Haute Couture came a close second.
I've seen a few people wear this particular dress but Liv really owns it. I love the strategically placed feathers, the fringe detail and the way the color changes from white, to yellow, to almost gold. She went for simple jewelry just some bangles and the hard, square clutch provided a perfect balance to the soft, flowing feel of the gown. I was trying to find a clear picture of the back for you to see because its just amazing but so far no luck. I'll keep looking and try to update if I find one!
Certainly the most charming look of the night had to be the adorable Hailee Steinfeld in Stella McCartney. At 14 it would be really easy for her to be drawn to more of a "prom" look but time and time again she arrives on the red carpet looking stylish, fashion forward and age appropriate. Just check out those amazing Nicholas Kirkwood shoes! I was surprised that this dress was Stella because I associate her with a different silhouette. This shape seemed like a good homage to McQueen. I wish she had gone for a bright color as the beige washes her out just a bit but overall a beautiful look. Hailee is definitely someone to watch!
Who were your favorites from last night?