Saturday, June 11, 2011
Robyn has quickly replaced Crystal Renn as the plus-sized model of the moment.
As you probably know by now, Robyn was photographed by Steven Meisel for this month's cover of Vogue Italia. She was also on the cover of French Elle in April!
She's funny, articulate, and smart. I can't wait to see where her career goes from here!
Thursday, June 9, 2011
I know I'm a few days late but I love Amanda Brooks Jill Sander gown so much that I had to share it with you all!
She was definitely my pick for best dressed of the night!
She looks so polished but edgy at the same time.
I love when gowns have pockets!
(Thanks to The Fashion Spot for the pics!)
Wednesday, June 8, 2011
Thursday, June 16th
67 Salem St.,
The North End, Boston
A fundraiser to benefit breast cancer research through Catwalk for a Cure and Susan G. Komen with local designers, a silent auction, appetizers, and cocktails.
Tuesday, June 7, 2011
I'm incredibly excited to announce that I've teamed up with Shabby Apple for a great give-a-way!
One lucky reader will win their Bonheaur White Shirt Dress from their Paris inspired Oh La La collection!
For those of you who aren't familiar Shabby Apple is a fabulous online boutique with lots of great vintage inspired women's dresses at really great prices. But what really sets them apart from other stores is their commitment to helping women in developing countries. In fact, 5% of Shabby Apple's net proceeds support micro-finance organizations that benefit women in India.
To win the Bonheaur White Shirt Dress all you need to do is follow me on BlogLovin and leave a comment in this post with your email address!
If you hate entering contests don't worry- Bostonista readers receive 10% off their orders with the code bostonista10off!
I'll be using the code for the Yellow Cotton Lawn Ruffle Cinched Waist dress
Isn't it sweet??
Shabby Apple also has a great selection of stylish maternity dresses
The winner will be announced on Monday June 20th!
Don't forget to "Like" Shabby Apple on Facebook to find out about special promotions and exclusive discounts!
Last week the New York Times asked if Marc Jacobs' day as fashion's cool kid is finally over. And based on this collection they might have a point.
Marc received the CFDA Lifetime Achievement Award tonight and while he certainly deserves it the award also points out that he isn't the wonder kid anymore. That role has been filled with the Proenza boys and Alexander Wang.
Marc's career-making, infamous collection for Perry Ellis was nearly twenty years ago now. Maybe he was trying to recapture some of the 90s with this collection? Because for some reason I can't really put my finger on all of these shapes and florals just remind me of a cleaner grunge. I can picture Angela Chase and Rayanne Graff making many of these looks their own.
The wall papering technique on the back of fabrics is cool but not exactly pretty. I think the model expressions pretty much explain this entire collection perfectly!
The only pieces I'd want to wear are the completely out of place princess dresses in hot pink and sea foam green. But what on earth were they thinking with the Barbie pink, sequin tank dress???
So much of the collection is just dowdy and downright ugly. I've also never been able to get past the idea of matchy-matchy print tops and pants. The styling for this look book is killing me.
And just some of the bad:
Monday, June 6, 2011
I can't believe how much I love Emma Watson's lime green, ruffle number at an after party for the MTV Movie Awards.
You would think that ruffles and lime green would be a recipe for ugly but it works on Emma.
I think the reason it works is just how beautifully it fits her.
I do wish she had gone for a different lipstick. Its a little harsh.
So what do you think?
Do you love or hate Emma's look?
(Thanks to The Fashion Spot for the pictures!)
Saturday, June 4, 2011
Just a little Saturday inspiration...
Emma Roberts California Rich Bitch style...
Sky F's music...
Diane Kruger's dreamy pink and blue...
Olivia Palermo's everything (but especially her Dior sunglasses...)
And some beautiful odds & ends...
Friday, June 3, 2011
Stefano Pilati has designed a sure-fire commercial hit for YSL's 2012 Resort collection.
The highlight of the collection had to be the great colors and florals. I'm also obsessed with all of the bags and sunglasses! The only low points came from the rather too literal interpretation of the sailing inspiration.
Shoes covered in starfish? Anchor earrings?
Are we getting dressed for a Magic School Bus field trip?
The shapes and fabrics were kept simple and classic with small, unexpected details (a floral applique on stark white pants, a crop top that reveals only a the tiniest bit of tummy, a revealingly high front hem on a trench coat...) keeping them fresh and new.
Thanks to Style.Com for the pictures!
Wednesday, June 1, 2011
I'm available for freelance writing, styling, and blogging positions.
Check out part of my resume here and contact me via email for more information!
Founder & Editor, TheBostonista.Com, Acton, MA April 2008-Present
• Founded and created The Bostonista, a blog that looks at the fashion industry, fashion design, celebrity and style from a twenty-something Bostonian’s perspective
• Research designers, trends, industry gossip and local stores
• Compile videos, photos, quotes, and news to create original opinionated editorial content daily
• Attend and report on local and national fashion/lifestyle events
• Build and maintain a loyal reader following generating an average of eight thousand unique visitors a month
• Generate revenue with both traditional and new media forms of advertising
• Utilize social media to promote The Bostonista and it’s advertisers
Writer, Freelance, Boston, MA January 2009-Present
• Message in a Bottle, Lola Magazine (The Boston Globe), February 2009
• Dare to Denim, Rue La La Guest Blog, July 2010
• Shop Boston, Pose Guest Blog, September 2011
• Daily Stuff: The Fourth Annual Emerging Trends Runway Show, Stuff Boston, September 2011
• Daily Stuff: Drea Designs at Bond, Stuff Boston, October 2011
PR/Fashion Intern, dress, Boston, MA August 2008-January 2009
• Assisted owner/PR director of upscale designer boutique
• Assisted with styling and production of bi-weekly merchandise photo shoots
• Organized press clippings, and maintained press photographs of incoming merchandise
• Created and edited PowerPoint presentations to send out in press packages
• Assisted clients in the store
Editorial Intern, The Improper Bostonian, Boston, MA August 2006-May 2007
• Contributed/Wrote small pieces that appeared in the magazine
- Improper Reports: Steep Thoughts, (11/22-12/5 2006)
• Wrote and edited portions of the events and agenda sections in the magazine
• Researched and fact-checked articles and columns for staff writers and editors
• Trained incoming editorial interns in Quark Express, AP Style format and company procedures
Assistant Head Teacher, Acton-Boxborough Community Education, Acton, MA November 2008-Present
· Provide a safe environment for children (K-6) before and after school
· Work as a member of a co-operative team in order to set and provide a fun program for children
· Create and supervise lesson plans and educational activities
· Assist with the supervision of children during in door and out door activities
· Attend to the physical needs of children
· Develop strong relationships with parents and families
Emmanuel College, Boston, MA
Residence Hall Staff September 2004-May 2007
• Greeted and assisted students, families, and guests as they enter resident halls
• Maintained a safe and secure environment while enforcing resident hall rules
• Mediated between students and staff to help create resolutions
Admissions Ambassador February 2004-May 2006
• Spoke to perspective students and their families and answer any questions about college and academic life at Emmanuel College
• Effectively communicated information to large groups of perspective students while giving tours of campus
Customer Service, TJ MAX ‘N’ More, Acton, MA Summer 2004
• Problem solved for customers and staff
• Handled all returns and some sales
• Mediated between customers and managers and resolved concerns to satisfy both parties
Emmanuel College, Boston, MA September 2003-May 2007
Bachelor of Arts in English-Communications, 2007
Relevant Courses: Journalism, Prose Writing, PR & Advertising, Writing for Mass Media, Media Theory & Criticism, Art History, Magazine Writing
Quark Express, MAC OS X, Microsoft Office, I Work, Internet Research, AP Style Format, Social Media, Blogger
References & Writing Samples Available Upon Request
Wednesday, May 25, 2011
Saturday, May 21, 2011
Victoria's Secret has launched their MLB inspired line of Pink gear and to celebrate Chanel Iman was at Victoria's Secret at the Cambrideside Galleria yesterday!
I was lucky enough to score a quick, EXCLUSIVE, one-on-one interview with Chanel!
I have to say she was not AT ALL what I was expecting. She seemed much younger than twenty. Chanel has a bit of a reputation for being...over confident to put it nicely. She certainly seemed at ease in front of the press line of cameras but one-on-one she was almost shy and very sweet.
(Me interviewing Chanel)
Bostonista: You became a Victoria's Secret Angel in 2010! What was that like?:
Chanel Iman: If you saw the show you'll know I was a mess backstage! I broke down because it was such an honor. Not every model gets to get wings!
Bostonista: They look so heavy!
Chanel: Yes! I had two pairs of wings but the bubble wings were heavy. They weighed 45 pounds!
Bostonista: You've done a lot of high fashion shows like Gucci while also working for Victoria's Secret. Do you approach the jobs differently?
Chanel: Not really. But it's fun to go back and forth from sexy and naked basically to high fashion. Victoria's Secret is one of my only commercial clients because I have so much fun working with them!
(Quick hair fix!)
Bostonista: What is your favorite piece or look from the new MLB/Pink collection?
Chanel: Definitely the yoga pant because unlike other yoga pants they are really fitted around the hips. Even though they are workout clothes they're still really sexy.
Bostonista: So what are your plans for the summer?
Chanel: To be a bombshell! The new Victoria's Secret line is all about being a bombshell this summer so I'm looking forward to going to the beach and embracing my inner bombshell!
(Chanel and I after our interview!)
Thanks to Chanel, her team and everyone at Victoria's Secret!